SCYA UPCOMING EVENTS
Annual Meeting – November 7
SCYA’s annual meeting will be a lunch meeting this Saturday, November 7, at Los Angeles Yacht Club. An optional tour of the battleship U.S.S. Iowa will be held after the meeting. Please click on our Meetings-Reservations tab for details and to make a reservation (a late fee applies for reservations made after 5 p.m. on Wednesday, November 4).
Installation Dinner – Saturday, January 9, 2016
The 2016 Installation dinner will be held at Balboa Yacht Club. Attendance is by invitation only. Please watch your mail for your invitation.
Midwinter Regatta – February 13-14 and 20-21, 2016
This new format enables our host yacht clubs to select which of these two weekends they wish to run their venues. Please check our Midwinter Regatta tab for updates.
Southern California Yachting Association was organized in 1921 to provide a much-needed communication, educational and organizational service to the yachting community in Southern California and Arizona. Our objectives are to provide a forum for sharing ideas, identifying and engaging in governmental issues that affect recreational boating, promoting events, acknowledging excellence and providing a social and educational platform to build a stronger boating community.
The images below are of the 2015 leadership, Midwinter Regatta, opening days, meetings and seminars.
Regular meetings allow member club officers to build a rapport with other officers, often making lifetime friendships. Presentations are:
- Relevant to timely issues
- Reach back in the past that paved the path of today
- Often people who are recognized for major accomplishments or an expert in their field of study or sport
- Mentoring opportunities to enlighten and overcome obstacles
SCYA assists yacht clubs in Opening Day efficiency by coordinating a master schedule to reduce date conflicts; as well as providing a mailing list so clubs can invite other SCYA member club flag officers to celebrate their special day.
There are also publications that SCYA produces for its member clubs:
- SCYA Race Calendar that conveniently lists races and regattas from Santa Barbara to Arizona to the Mexican Border
- A Yearbook that contains member club’s Officers, Delegates and Alternatives contact information
- “The Yachting Protocol Guidelines” is a guide of the traditions in the modern world of conduct and etiquette used in the yachting community and is a handy resource for yachtsmen and leadership
In addition, SCYA provides sail numbers as a service to the yachting community in Area J.