Southern California Yachting Association was organized in 1921 to provide a much-needed communication, educational and organizational service to the yachting community in Southern California and Arizona. Our objectives are to provide a forum for sharing ideas, identifying and engaging in governmental issues that affect recreational boating, promoting events, acknowledging excellence and providing a social and educational platform to build a stronger boating community.
The images below are of the 2015 leadership, Midwinter Regatta, opening days, meetings and seminars.
Regular meetings allow member club officers to build a rapport with other officers, often making lifetime friendships. Presentations are:
- Relevant to timely issues
- Reach back in the past that paved the path of today
- Often people who are recognized for major accomplishments or an expert in their field of study or sport
- Mentoring opportunities to enlighten and overcome obstacles
SCYA assists yacht clubs in Opening Day efficiency by coordinating a master schedule to reduce date conflicts; as well as providing a mailing list so clubs can invite other SCYA member club flag officers to celebrate their special day.
There are also publications that SCYA produces for its member clubs:
- SCYA Race Calendar that conveniently lists races and regattas from Santa Barbara to Arizona to the Mexican Border
- A Yearbook that contains member club’s Officers, Delegates and Alternatives contact information
- “The Yachting Protocol Guidelines” is a guide of the traditions in the modern world of conduct and etiquette used in the yachting community and is a handy resource for yachtsmen and leadership
In addition, SCYA provides sail numbers as a service to the yachting community in Area J.