View the Yacht Club Directory
The Southern California Yachting Association was organized in 1921 to provide a much-needed communication, educational, and organizational service to the yachting community in Southern California and Arizona. Our objectives are to provide a forum for sharing ideas, identifying and engaging in governmental issues that affect recreational boating, promoting events, acknowledging excellence, and providing a social and educational platform to build a stronger boating community.
Regular SCYA meetings allow member club officers to build a rapport with other officers, often making lifetime friendships. Presentations are:
- Relevant to timely issues
- Reach back in the past that paved the path to today
- Recognize people for major accomplishments or are expert in their field of study or sport
- Mentoring opportunities to enlighten and overcome obstacles
SCYA assists yacht clubs in Opening Day efficiency by coordinating a master schedule to reduce date conflicts; as well as providing a mailing list so clubs can invite other SCYA member club flag officers to celebrate their special day.
There are also publications that SCYA produces for its member clubs:
- The SCYA Race Calendar that conveniently lists races and regattas from Santa Barbara to Arizona to the Mexican border
- The Yearbook contains member clubs' Officers, Delegates and Alternatives and their contact information
- "The Yachting Protocol Guidelines" is a guide of the traditions in the modern world of conduct and etiquette used in the yachting community and is a handy resource for yachtsmen and leadership
In addition, SCYA provides sail numbers as a service to the yachting community in Area J.
Don’t miss your chance to be at the Extreme Sailing Series™ San Diego
The Extreme Sailing Series™ is the ultimate Stadium Racing championship, which visits eight iconic cities across three continents throughout the season, and it is heading to San Diego from October 19th-22nd.
The global Series pits...Read More »
The 2017 midwinter regatta came to an end on June 19th after several weather delays. Despite southern California having one of the stormiest winters on record and many delays all the host yacht clubs were able to hold the regatta and the sailors took advantage of the...Read More »
RBOC is extending its appreciation to Senator Jerry Hill [D-San Mateo] for his consideration of the concerns raised by RBOC and his decision to remove from SB 65 provisions that would have extended the boating under the influence [BUI] laws into the Vehicle Code with a prohibi¬tion against individuals drinking...Read More »
RBOC continues to oppose the AB 71 [Chiu] provision that would eliminate the state tax deduction for mortgage interest on second homes.
The California Association of Realtors, the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association, and others are also advocat¬ing in opposition to this provision.
RBOC is concerned that AB 71 would discourage...Read More »