View the Yacht Club Directory
The Southern California Yachting Association was organized in 1921 to provide a much-needed communication, educational, and organizational service to the yachting community in Southern California and Arizona. Our objectives are to provide a forum for sharing ideas, identifying and engaging in governmental issues that affect recreational boating, promoting events, acknowledging excellence, and providing a social and educational platform to build a stronger boating community.
Regular SCYA meetings allow member club officers to build a rapport with other officers, often making lifetime friendships. Presentations are:
- Relevant to timely issues
- Reach back in the past that paved the path to today
- Recognize people for major accomplishments or are expert in their field of study or sport
- Mentoring opportunities to enlighten and overcome obstacles
SCYA assists yacht clubs in Opening Day efficiency by coordinating a master schedule to reduce date conflicts; as well as providing a mailing list so clubs can invite other SCYA member club flag officers to celebrate their special day.
There are also publications that SCYA produces for its member clubs:
- The SCYA Race Calendar that conveniently lists races and regattas from Santa Barbara to Arizona to the Mexican border
- The Yearbook contains member clubs' Officers, Delegates and Alternatives and their contact information
- "The Yachting Protocol Guidelines" is a guide of the traditions in the modern world of conduct and etiquette used in the yachting community and is a handy resource for yachtsmen and leadership
In addition, SCYA provides sail numbers as a service to the yachting community in Area J.
Annually SCYA encourages all the member clubs to bring as many Staff Commodores to the fall meeting. This years event was at the Long Beach Yacht Club on October 2nd. The turn out...Read More »
Presented by the Yacht Racing Union of Southern
Saturday, November 11, 2017
LONG BEACH YACHT CLUB 6201 E. Appian Way, Long Beach, 90803
Best Galley Practices --- Food Safety Guru Jeff Nelken
Directors & Officers Duties & Responsibilities --- Speaker: Lu Torrez...Read More »
US SAILING ADVANCED RACE MANAGEMENT SEMINAR
WHO should attend: Those interested in Becoming a Regional or National PRO or needing to be recertified
Successful Completion of this Course is one of the requirements to become a...Read More »