During the November 14th general membership meeting SCYA announced the winners of some of the prestige’s awards that annually are presented to the clubs and a sailor’s that stand out above the rest.
The 90+ member clubs of the SCYA are eligible for the honor to be named as Club of the Year in one of 3 categories. These clubs are located in Southern California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and Baja California. While most of our member provide a valuable service to their 22,000 plus members and to the communities that they serve the winners are ahead of the others.
From the Marina del Rey area Del Rey Yacht Club was named Club of the Year in the Senior Member category. The American Legion Yacht Club located in Newport Beach was named Regular Member and located in San Bernardino mountains Lake Gregory Yacht Club won in the Associate Member category.
All of these clubs had an outstanding racing program, an outstanding angling program, held charitable events and community service programs, participated in the Clean Boating program, supported RBOC as well as excelling in many other areas. To see the full requirements, CLICK HERE.
In addition to the COY award the following award winners were announced:
- George L. and Kay B. Fisher Memorial Trophy (distinguished service to yachting) – Richard and Susan Countess, Pierpoint Bay Yacht Club
- SCYA Rescue Award (outstanding display of heroism and compassion in sport of sailing) – Roy Disney & Pyewacket crew, California Yacht Club
- James M, Webster Perpetual Trophy (outstanding contribution to yachting) – Pat Reynolds, The Mariner, editor and published
- Mort Bloom Perpetual Trophy (excellence, commitment and duration of judges, umpires and race officers) – Kevin Hawkins, California Yacht Club
- Warren Ewert Memorial Trophy (distinguished service to SCYA). – Anne Sacks, California Yacht Club
- Peggy Slater Memorial Trophy (enhancing women’s participation in sailing) – Denise George, Santa Monica Windjammers’ Club
- SCYA Transpac Trophy (top finishing SYCA member boat on corrected time) – Mark Surber, Snoopy, Coronado Yacht Club
- SCYA Honorary Commodore – Peter Tietz, Lake Mission Viejo Yacht Club
- Maritime Order of the Golden Key (outstanding service as amateur radio operator) – Charles Pascal, California Yacht Club,