SCYA Member Clubs Updates
- What’s your club up to? Planning for 2020? Get in touch with Peter Philips and let me know! Email: email@example.com,
Inclusive/Adaptive Sailing organizations
Challenged Sailors San Diego (CSSD) https://www.challengedsailors.org/
- CSSD is not currently sailing or racing due to the use of companion sailors with the handicapped sailor in close proximity.
- Published a list of educational and entertaining resources by email and on their website to keep their sailors and companion sailors connected with sailing.
- Encouraged attendance at the Royal Yachting Associations Racing Rules seminar and the Claggett Memorial Regatta Master class taught by Dave Perry and Dave Dellenbaugh.
U.S. Patriot Sailing https://www.uspatriotsailing.org/
- US Patriot Sailing, a national organization with a San Diego chapter, supports our Veteran community by welcoming our fellow Veterans back onto a winning TEAM - offering camaraderie, mission accomplishment, and new dynamic experiences - they foster supportive and understanding Veteran communities, ready to help Teammates navigate the hardships of transition, rehabilitation after injury, and the complex life challenges associated with combat deployments.
- Not currently racing but looking to join the Cortez Racing Association Summer Beer Can series when they restart.
- Encouraged participation in the Bermuda Ocean Race Association and Mustang Survival Race-In-Place “sailing“ video contest.
Warrior Sailing (WS) - http://warriorsailing.org/
- Getting military service memberson the water can provide physical, mental and emotional therapy for a variety of injuries and illness. Sailing is an outlet to cope with the long term effects of PTSD, brain injury, amputation, paralysis and nerve damage…plus it’s really fun way for our warrior sailors to express their most natural abilities: teamwork and competitive drive.
- Warrior Sailing didn’t participate in any events in SoCal in the past couple months.
- On May 22 held a Zoom webinar with their west coast coach, Jenna Ferrieri! Covered sailing and discussed her background as a naval architect.
- WS cancelled their Basic Training Camp at San Diego Yacht Club June 9-11.
Team River Runner San Diego (TRRSD) https://www.teamriverrunner.org/
Team River Runner San Diego (TRRSD) is one of about 65 chapters of TRR National that provides opportunities for Veterans and Active Duty soldiers to find health, healing, community purpose, and new challenges through paddle sports. Some of their activities include monthly flat-water paddles on Mission Bay both for patients at Balboa Medical Center as part of their recovery program and for local Veterans dealing with any of the injuries that occurred while they were in a theater of war or afterward. They can bring family and friends, and participants seeking the therapeutic benefits of paddling do not have to be a Veteran.
- TRRSD hasn’t held any paddling events in SoCal in the past couple months.
- For almost a month, TRR has been training and developing a team of veterans and volunteers to be available, by phone or email, to be a "personal Google" to help find resources throughout this pandemic.
- TRR developed a biweekly workout program to keep our community active during COVID-19 and the stay at home orders. River Reps By Dave is not only a workout regiment but also a way for us to stay connected.
Mission Bay Aquatic Center (MBAC) https://mbaquaticcenter.com/
Mission Bay Aquatic Center is one of the world's largest instructional waterfront facilities located in beautiful San Diego, California. Last year over 30,000 participants experienced surfing, sailing, wakeboarding, wakesurfing, stand up paddling, waterskiing, rowing, kayaking, and windsurfing. Tens of thousands of people have learned to safely enjoy watersports at MBAC over the past 45 years.
Mission Bay Aquatic Center is owned and operated by Associated Students of San Diego State University and UCSD Recreation and is open to the public. The aquatic center is home to The Watersports Camp, a youth day camp sponsored by the Peninsula Family YMCA for kids ages 6-17.
MBAC is recognized as a model for safe watersports education and operations and is the regional boating safety center for the California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways. As a LEED Platinum Certified Facility the center is commited to fostering a culture of sustainability and protecting the marine environment.
- MBAC has re-opened for Stand-up paddle boarding and kayaking and their parking lot has re-opened as well effective 6/8/2020.