Shoreline Yacht Club hosted the Cal 20 Class Championships in August. Thirty-five boats signed up to compete in the Gold, Silver, and Bronze fleets. On Friday the excitement built as the Gold fleet ran the line prior to the start. Two boats collided, eliminating them both from the rest of the weekend. The two competitors in the Silver fleet elected to race as Gold, creating a starting line of 22 boats. Saturday had similar problems when the Bronze boat in third place had to retire for the day after their spreader came crashing down on the deck.
It was an honor for SYC to host the event as many yacht clubs up and down the west coast put their names in yearly hoping to be the Organizing Authority. Shoreline pulled it off with flying colors receiving compliments from most of the competitors, even weeks following the event.
The farthest competitor came from Tacoma, WA. Shoreline had their entire fleet of eight sailing foundation boats competing in the Bronze level.
The perpetual results were as follows:
1. Class Champions: Keith Ives & Chuck Stevens (Rubber Dog)
2. Neil Baker Gold Fleet Second Place Finishers: Mike & Ron Wood (Lickety Split)
3. Bud Gardiner Award (leader going into last day): Keith Ives & Chuck Stevens (Rubber Dog)
4. Masters Champion: Burr Hope (Déjà Vu)
5. Top Finishing Woman Skipper: Jennifer Kuritz (Hot Pink)
6. Bronze Fleet Champion: Bruce Dybens & Dave Stipe (Sailbad)
7. Bravura Award (Best Looking Boat): Liam Haselhorst (Belmar)
8. The Hank (Opposite of Above): Richard Welsh (Vim)
For complete results CLICK HERE
It took a village to put this event on. Kudos to PRO Stephen Ashley, organizers Risa Scott and fellow race chair Warren Wolfe. Thank you to Mark Holmes for providing the committee boat High Spirits and to Paul Tardiff for lending his whaler. There were numerous volunteers serving on race committee and helping put on a daily buffet of hot and cold appetizers. Last, but not least, special thanks to Todd Smith for donating the keg of beer for Friday afternoon!
Information provided by Debra Kelly Race Chair, Shoreline YC