There are several classes of SCYA memberships typically based upon the size of the organization. Regardless of the type of membership, all members use SCYA as a focal point for a variety of activities and special interests. The following provides a partial list of the benefits SCYA members enjoy:
- Provides a service center which members may call to address questions, yachting community activities, training or special events.
- Invites member affiliates to special training sessions on Boat Safety, Emergencies at Sea, Club Management.
- Hosts special events to recognize Commodores of member clubs for their hard work and dedication; examples are the Commodore’s Cruise and the SCYA Installation and Awards Dinner;
- Presents over 20 special trophies and awards recognizing clubs and associations for their s programs, and individual sailors and power boaters for their contributions to the support and growth of recreational boating;
- Supports one of the longest-running Women’s Sailing Conventions in the United States; SCYA is dedicated to growing the popularity of sailing and boating for women;
- Holds regular membership meetings featuring guest speakers on a variety of boating topics; the meetings are a networking opportunity for members and leadership teams to connect with other yacht club officers and board members;
- Publishes the Race Calendar for the region; maintains the race calendar on line;
- Prints the most authoritative directory on all member yacht clubs, boating groups, harbor associations in its annual Yearbook;
- Acts as an outreach agent to bring water sports to the general community by promoting youth boating programs open to the public;
- Promotes Challenged Boating Programs that help people with special needs to experience the joys of boating and yachting; examples include Challenged Sailing, hosted by Coronado yacht Club, Wheelchair Regatta hosted by Silver Gate Yacht Club, and Warrior Sailing;
- Monitors legislation impacting the boating community at large and works with state and federal advocacy organizations.